Keeping Your License After a DUI

How To Keep Your License After A DUI

The Ignition Interlock License (IIL) is a Restricted Driver’s License that you need to apply for. 

If approved by the Department of Licensing, a IIL will allow you to drive a vehicle while your current license is suspended or revoked for a drug or alcohol-related driving offense.   

To be eligible, your driving record must show all of the following:

An arrest or conviction of any of the following:

  • DUI or Physical Control involving drugs or alcohol
  • Reckless Driving
  • Vehicular Assault involving drugs or alcohol
  • Vehicular Homicide involving drugs or alcohol
  • You have an unexpired WA driver license or a valid out of state driver license

Your current suspension or revocation doesn’t include:

  • Minor in Possession, or
  • Habitual Traffic Offender (Suspended 1st degree)

Ignition Interlock License Application

Before the Washington State Department of Licensing will consider your application for an ignition interlock license you must complete the following steps.

1. Install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.  

  • There are several ignition interlock device locations in Washington State, a general internet search should help you find one near you.
  • Choose an installer that is approved by the Washington State Patrol.
  • The ignition interlock installer will send proof of installation to the Department of Licensing.
  • Fees vary depending on the installation location you select. They may include an installation fee, a monthly fee for the device to be maintained in your vehicle, required monthly calibration of the ignition interlock device.

2. Provide proof of financial responsibility to Washington State.  

  • Obtain a Certificate of Insurance, commonly known as SR-22 insurance.
  • The auto insurance company will submit the SR-22 filing to the Washington State Department of Licensing.
  • The SR-22 filing may take up to 10 business days to be processed.

3. Submit a Restricted Driver License Application.  

  • This application can be found at under the ignition interlock driver’s license page.
  • Mail the completed application and the required $100.00 application fee to the Washington State Department of Licensing restricted licensing department.

If the Washington State Department of Licensing does not receive all documents that are required with your application within 30 days, they will deny your application.  

What Happens Next?

Once all three steps have been completed, your application for the ignition interlock license will be reviewed by the Department of Licensing.  

If the Department of Licensing approves your application, they will mail or email your ignition interlock license when your license suspension begins.  

Things to Know About an Ignition Interlock license  

  • It is valid only in Washington State.
  • It is required for the entire time your license is suspended.
  • You will be required to maintain ignition interlock devices on all the vehicles you drive.
  • Exceptions may exist for employer owned vehicles.

We know that DUI’s can be a life changing event but it isn’t the end of the world.  

Call us now to ask additional questions or to hire an experienced attorney who has deep connections with the local legal system

Want to hear more from us… 

You can connect with us on social media at any of the networks below.

Sign up for the Monthly Newsletter.